methodist church, Winkfield

WINKFIELD ROW METHODIST CHURCH CELEBRATES 160 YEARS OF CHRISTIAN WORSHIP |  The congregation of Winkfield Row Methodist Church  celebrated the church’s 160th Anniversary in 2014.  The chapel opened in 1854 as a Primitive Methodist Chapel as part of a circuit (group of churches) that stretched through the Thames Valley Area, as far as Heathrow.  Many of the sister churches from back in the 19th Century have long since closed.   In the 20th Century, the Primitive Methodists joined with the Wesleyan  Methodist Church and the Bible Christians to form the modern day Methodist Church.   Winkfield Row was part of the family of churches that made up the Berkshire Surrey Borders circuit.

Winkfield Row Methodist Church, small and tucked in a row of houses opposite Lambrook Haileybury School, was opened as long ago as 1854, and was thoroughly refurbished in recent years.  The popular annual Winkfield Row May Day Fair started as their brainchild.